Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Songs: The Church

I hate those cheese-ball alliterative day-of-the-week titles people use on their blogs (Friday Funnies, Mixology Monday, Thursday is for Thrombosis, or whatever), but I thought it would be fun to post the lyrics to some of my favorite hymns and songs on Sundays.  So here goes.  Note that songs about God's people pretty much invariably make me cry (see: The Church's One Foundation, especially verse two about the "elect from every nation"... definitely getting choked up just typing those words).

I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord

I Love thy kingdom, Lord, the house of thine abode,
The church our blest Redeemer saved with His own precious blood.

I love thy church, O God: her walls before thee stand,
Dear as the apple of thine eye, and graven on thy hand.

For her my tears shall fall, for her my prayers ascend;
To her my cares and toils be giv'n, till toils and cares shall end.

Beyond my highest joy I prize her heav'nly ways,
Her sweet communion, solemn vows, her hymns of love and praise.

Jesus, thou friend divine, our Savior and our King,
Thy hand from every snare and foe shall great deliv'rance bring.

Sure as Thy truth shall last, to Zion shall be giv'n
The brightest glories earth can yield and brighter bliss of heav'n.

-- Timothy Dwight, 1800

No comments: