Saturday, February 27, 2010

When My Plans Fall Through, or "A Little Bit of Oversharing"

This last week or so, dealing with a non-functioning computer and my subsequent inability to keep up with the new blog, has been an interesting microcosm of what my life often looks like.  I plan, and pat myself on the back for coming up with such a brilliant scheme to exalt myself, and imagine what it will be like when my perfectly-conceived plans come to fruition, and then the Lord in His grace kindly tears down my idol of being admired and respected.  Whereupon I typically scramble to rebuild, and the Lord and I go through the process until I finally get it through my thick skull that He will be worshipped alongside no one and nothing else.

 I am twenty-eight.  If you think that ten years ago I thought my life would look like this, you probably need extensive counseling.  I figured I'd be living overseas, married, with a couple of kids, happily cooking meals for my growing family by now.  Instead, I have most of a Master's degree in Theology, I own a little condo, I teach Humanities at a tiny Christian school, and I am, most definitely, still very single.

God is good.  He is teaching me to live a "quiet and peaceful life in all godliness and holiness," knocking down my idolatrous and self-aggrandizing plans, reminding me of His grace and sufficiency.


I guess this is just a reminder to myself.

1 comment:

fional said...

I read this one after the other one (tho it comes before), and just want to say onya again. It's not a favourite word, it's just fitting.