Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lovelessness

Terry's blog, Breathing Grace, has encouraged me so many times I can't even tell y'all.  In the midst of a discussion on women's roles and responsibilities, she said something that CUT ME UP.

"If I homeschool using Charlotte Mason, wear a dress I sewed myself that grazes the floor, cook a gourmet meal every night and melt in your mouth biscuits every morning and have not love, it profits me nothing."

Ouch.


I'm not a wife or mother, I don't buy the whole "there's no such thing as women's pants" thing, I for sure don't cook a gourmet meal every night, and if I baked biscuits every morning I would weigh 800 pounds.  But what about all the other externals by which I choose to measure my godliness?


"If I do my morning devotions in the Greek New Testament, have bookshelves full of Puritan writings, can quote big chunks of the Bible from memory, and have not love, it profits me nothing."


"If I grow my own food, eat only natural, locally-raised meat, make my own cleaning supplies, and bake all my bread from scratch, and have not love, it profits me nothing."


"If I write insightfully on profound topics, teach classics and languages with theological overtones, read obscure and difficult books, and have not love, it profits me nothing."


Also, this is my 300th post.  That's a lot of words.

No comments: